The year of 2018 was a dynamic time for thematic groups. The 1 March 2017 Thematic Group funding round drew a record number of applications. It was fortunate that TASA was able to support most of these activities, which included:
- ‘Development for Species: Animals in Society, Animals as Society’, held on 18–19 September 2017 (Sociology and Animals Thematic Group)
- ‘Politics and Crime Control in the 21st Century: Controversies and Challenges’, held on 22 September 2017 (Crime and Governance Thematic Group)
- ‘Chasms and Bridges: Religion and Secularity in a Polarised World’, held on 29 September 2017 (Sociology of Religion Thematic Group)
- ‘Mobilising Health Sociology for Impact: How Can Complex Understandings of Justice and Inequality be Used in Policy and Practice?’ held on 13 October 2017 (Health Thematic Group)
- ‘Research Methods in Youth Studies: Doing “Difference Differently”’, held on 22 November 2017 (Sociology of Youth Thematic Group)
- ‘Emotions and Social Theory: Reflexivity, Critique and Structure’, held on 24 November 2017 (Social Theory Thematic Group)
The current Thematic Group funding round closed on 1 March 2018. It attracted five applications, which will be discussed at the next TASA Executive meeting. I will be in contact with the relevant conveners in due course.
In important and exciting news, the first National Social Sciences Week will be held from 10th to 16th September 2018. This presents an excellent opportunity not only for Australian sociology – but also our thematic groups – to illustrate the importance and impact of what we do. I am happy to provide advice and support to thematic groups who wish to pursue Social Sciences Week event opportunities.
Finally, I remind TASA members that you can join up to four thematic groups. Membership of thematic groups is included in your TASA membership fee, so there is no additional cost. If you wish to add or change the thematic groups of which you are a member, or to check your group membership, log into your TASA account at the top of the TASA home page.